Nature (IF 69.504): Research Team of NREL Kai Zhu Proposed Connecting Indoor Testing and Outdoor Lifetimes to Evaluate Perovskite Solar Cell Reliability
Enlitech- Selection of Top Teams！
The research team led by Kai Zhu from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) published this research article.
- Correlates indoor tests and outdoor aging of perovskite solar cells
- Aims to predict real-world reliability to guide development
- Degradation under light and heat most informative
- Interface between layers critical for stability
- Modifying interface layer improved stability 2.8x, over 1000 hrs at 85C
- Reached 8200 hrs projected lifetime at 50°C
- One of best operational stabilities reported for high-efficiency PSCs
- Links lab tests to real-world lifetimes to evaluate stability
Perovskite solar cells are promising thin-film PV technology, but real-world stability is challenging to understand. Linking accelerated indoor testing with outdoor aging is critical to guide PSC development and predict lifetime.
- Degradation under light and heat most predictive of outdoor reliability.
- Modifying SAM HTL improved stability 2.8x, over 1000 hrs at 85°C.
- Achieved 8200 hr projected lifetime at 50°C.
- One of best operational stabilities reported for high efficiency PSCs.
- Tested high efficiency p-i-n PSC stack.
- Performed indoor accelerated tests under illumination, heat, humidity.
- Conducted 6-month outdoor aging tests.
- Analyzed degradation under different stress factors.
- Identified ITO/SAM HTL/perovskite interface as critical.
- Modified SAM HTL to improve ion-blocking.
This study shows a strong correlation between accelerated indoor testing and outdoor aging of perovskite solar cells. The framework links lab and field lifetimes, providing insights into real-world stability from indoor experiments. Modifying the interface layer improved stability by blocking ion migration. This enables better evaluation of long-term stability of high-efficiency perovskite solar cells by connecting indoor testing and outdoor lifetimes. The reliability framework can guide further development and commercialization.
a.Averaged operational stability of unencapsulated p-i-n PSCs at different temperatures.b.Hourly degration rates derived from T80 values at different temperature.
J-V curves of a typical p-i-n PSC and the corresponding SPO PCE
perovskite solar cell