《Matter》High-Barrier Encapsulation Technology: The Path to Commercialization of Stable Perovskite Solar Cells
- Although perovskite solar cells have the advantages of low cost and high efficiency, poor stability is a stumbling block to commercialization.
- Developing encapsulation technology with high barrier performance can effectively isolate the external environment and enhance the stability of perovskite solar cells.
- Analyzing the degradation mechanism of perovskite as a light absorber points the way for the development of encapsulation technology.
Perovskite solar cells have attracted much attention due to their simple processing, low cost and high efficiency. However, the poor stability of such cells remains a major obstacle to commercialization. To overcome this, encapsulation technology with high barrier performance must be developed to protect perovskite solar cells from external environmental impacts.
- The research teams led by Ching-Ping Wong from Georgia Institute of Technology, Fang Baizeng from Dongguan University of Technology, Haijiang Wang from Southern University of Science and Technology, and Cheng Bow from Lanzhou Institute of Technology explored the degradation mechanism of perovskite as a light absorber, providing direction for the development of encapsulation technology.
- Analyzed the barrier properties of existing encapsulation materials against UV, moisture, oxygen, etc.
- Reviewed the pros and cons of various encapsulation techniques and configurations.
- Proposed recommendations to accelerate the development of encapsulation materials and structures.
- Literature review: Integrated analysis of existing literature to understand the stability issues of perovskite solar cells and the current development status of encapsulation technology.
- Theoretical analysis: Based on the chemical stability theory of perovskite, explored its possible degradation mechanisms as a light absorber.
- Comparative research: Compared encapsulation solutions for commercial PV technologies like silicon solar cells to identify the differences and specific needs of perovskite solar cell encapsulation.
- Comprehensive evaluation: Integrated advantages and disadvantages analysis of different encapsulation materials, techniques and configurations.
- Conclusions and recommendations: Provided specific recommendations to accelerate encapsulation technology development based on literature and theoretical research.
Analyzing the degradation mechanism of perovskite and the current status of encapsulation technology to identify suitable materials and methods for encapsulating perovskite solar cells will significantly improve their stability and reliability for commercial applications. Further optimization of encapsulation technology will facilitate the industrialization process of perovskite solar cells.